Jeff left for Georgia, on a flight from Albany, around 6am.
Mom drove him to the airport and said "if I could've fit in his backpack, I would've." Needless to say, her drive home was with teary-eyes... but we're all filled with excitement for his journey.
He will arrive at the ATL airport, then take a shuttle to a hostel in Dahlonega, a few miles from the trail. Side note: Dahlonega is where Seth & Bree Roe got married in a few years ago... beautiful, sweet southern town in the Georgia mountains! If I was going on this trip, it'd be hard for me not to get sidetracked at a charming little cafe on the village's square. I highly doubt that's going to be the case with our very determined Jeff as he eagerly starts this journey. I digress...
Jeff will be spending tonight in a hostel, most likely with other AT hikers. In the morning, the hostel shuttle will take him to the start of his hike. The actual Appalachian Trail doesn't start until about the end of his first day, at the top of Springer Mountain.
In about 2 days, there will be an opportunity for Jeff to take a short detour in to a town. He says he'll probably skip that and spend the first 7 days on the trail. At around day 7, he will visit another town off the trail to reload some food supplies and (hopefully) check in with us at home.
We'll update when we hear from him. Maybe he'll have a trail name by then!
Mom drove him to the airport and said "if I could've fit in his backpack, I would've." Needless to say, her drive home was with teary-eyes... but we're all filled with excitement for his journey.
He will arrive at the ATL airport, then take a shuttle to a hostel in Dahlonega, a few miles from the trail. Side note: Dahlonega is where Seth & Bree Roe got married in a few years ago... beautiful, sweet southern town in the Georgia mountains! If I was going on this trip, it'd be hard for me not to get sidetracked at a charming little cafe on the village's square. I highly doubt that's going to be the case with our very determined Jeff as he eagerly starts this journey. I digress...
Jeff will be spending tonight in a hostel, most likely with other AT hikers. In the morning, the hostel shuttle will take him to the start of his hike. The actual Appalachian Trail doesn't start until about the end of his first day, at the top of Springer Mountain.
In about 2 days, there will be an opportunity for Jeff to take a short detour in to a town. He says he'll probably skip that and spend the first 7 days on the trail. At around day 7, he will visit another town off the trail to reload some food supplies and (hopefully) check in with us at home.
We'll update when we hear from him. Maybe he'll have a trail name by then!
May the Force (of family and friends) be with you.! We ate excited for your journey. Uncle Dick
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your journey, Jeff!!
ReplyDeleteHey Jeff have you picked a trail name. Here is what your friend wrote on FB. Alan Schachner Wishing the best of luck. Godspeed to you, My brother of the forest, I envy your new adventure. May the wind always be at your back.
ReplyDeleteI thought a good name might be "Brother of the Forest" I am and other family members are looking at the moon at 9pm and thinking of you. Love you! Dad
Hey Jeff...
ReplyDeleteI am exceedingly jealous that you are living one of my dreams. I've shared your adventure with one of my students who dreams of the hike and he's now more determined to do it. So thanks for that. Have fun, fine weather and a freaking fantastic adventure.
Ken Scarpa