Tuesday, April 22, 2014

EASTER, PHONE CALL FROM JEFF: some river in NC

I got a call from Jeff on Sunday afternoon.  The reception was a little spotty, as he was calling from a borrowed cell phone... but it was great to hear is voice, as always, and get a few tidbits about his travels.

Jeff's toes were dipped in the cool, refreshing waters of a North Carolina river.  At 2 o'clock in the afternoon, he had already hiked about 11 miles and was done traveling for the day.  A large number of the thru-hikers he has met along the way were gathered together - cooling off in the river, sharing beers and stories, really enjoying the company and setting up camp for the day.

As I wished Jeff a "Happy Easter," he reported that they had received some "trail magic" that day in the spirit of the holiday (Easter Bunny-type goodies).  I was excited to hear about the trail magic, since I had read about it on other AT blogs and think it is such a beautiful, loving gesture of humanity.   I'm hoping to hit a spot where the AT passes through nearby and provide some trail magic sometime soon.  Hopefully, the good karma I put in to the trail will come back around to Jeff in the end...

Trail Magic, defined as an unexpected act of kindness, is a quintessential part of the Appalachian Trail experience for many long-distance hikers. - Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Since Jeff was calling from a friend's cell phone, I asked him to ask the cell's owner to send me a photo of their day.  A few hours later, I received this awesome shot of "Fukkin' Maje$tic" and his cronies.





No comments:

Post a Comment